Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Entering Yellowstone from the East we come upon the familiar solitary sentinels, reminders of previous fires. In addition I noticed the plethora of downed trees. They look like straw scattered through a field. Most are very skinny and bare of leaves. I think these might be lodgepole pines. The Indians value them very highly as building timber. I can see why. They are easily toppled.
About 10 minutes into the park there is traffic moving at about 3 mph. Sound familiar? I had to laugh. Mr. and Mrs. Bison and babies I'm sure are on the road doing their thing.
Sure enough, after about a half hour delay we arrive to see them in the middle of the road watching us humans trying to maneuver around them. I wonder if they are laughing to themselves at our behavior.
Today we decided to view the Yellowstone Grand Canyon formed and sculpted by the Yellowstone. The depth and breath of the canyon is stunning with its array of shades of golds, yellows, reds, oranges, iron, sulphur, mixed together in a remarkable testimony to the colors of time.
The upper and lower falls of the canyon are mighty in force and swift in flow. We snaked down a serpentine trail to stand by the precipice of the lower falls. We could gaze down to where the water was dumping below. The power of nature is awesome. Knowing that the same force that created the falls is the same force with which I'm imbued provides a direct connection for me to source.
After traveling the north rim of the canyon we took the upper loop which took us up and down mountains and plains and past Mammoth Hot Springs which is a layer of hot, mineral springs.
As we exited the park, wouldn't you know it, traffic backed up again for Mr. and Mrs. Bison. This time the delay was only 30 minutes or so. I guess they took pity on us. I love Mr. and Mrs. Bison. They keep us all in our place.
After we said goodbye to the Bison family we went a mile or so and pulled off onto Riverside Rd. where Peggy walked into the stream for some quiet meditation.
Tomorrow we are off to Ft. Collins, Colorado to see the next generation.
My mind harkens back though to the Geyser country. Many parks have wildlife, bison, bear, elk, and many have spectacular rivers, creeks, streams, and many have mountainous features. But, for me, the uniqueness of Yellowstone is Geyser country which I have yet to see in the splendor and quantity that I have witnessed here.

No comments: